My approach is a hands-on management style. I love getting my hands dirty and learning new things. Working in IT, you have to keep evolving or you will be left behind.
Everyone had to start somewhere, I caught the IT bug at a young age. At the age of 14 I started programming on Texas Instrument's TI/99a and Tandy's TRS-80 computers. Ever since I wrote my first line of code, I knew computers would change everyone's daily life.
My background & experience
Summary of qualifications
|Skills include over 20 years of hands-on management level experience in the Development and Quality Assurance fields as well as 30+ years in IT/IS. Experience includes designing and building N tier environments to support development and production environments, testing very large database applications that contain 1,000s of billions of records (10TB partitioned databases); Data Warehouse integration testing, SAP, JD Edwards, and Hyperion integration testing, testing digital content delivery systems (audio/video and miscellaneous contest), accounting systems), network applications and infrastructure; setting up Quality Assurance Departments and implementing methodologies & procedures such as SDLC, QALC, TDD, CMM, and gray-box/white-box/black-box test concepts to improve quality; implementing Development methodologies to improve coding standards and code quality; implementing Configuration Management policies and procedures to improve code releases utilizing Team Foundation Server, Visual Source Safe, CVS and CleaseCase environments; extensive experience managing offshore teams in India and the U.K. using proven project management principles. My experience also includes managing the testing of e-commerce/portal websites and applications, shopping carts and credit card processing systems for large scale websites, DRM Licensing Technology (anti-piracy for video/audio on demand) billing & accounting systems, as well as broad experience in gray-box, white-box, and black-box testing of .NET, J2EE, SQL2000/SQL2005, DTS, SSIS, Windows, and LAMP based applications. I have extensive experience implementing automated test tools and scripts utilizing open source and off the shelf tools. Lastly, my skills include extensive experience with the following technologies: Microsoft Business Intelligence Stack (SSIS, SSAS, SSRS), Team Foundation Server (TFS), Rational Visual Test, Segue Silk Test and Silk Performer, Mercury WinRunner and LoadRunner, Rational Performance Tester, Rational Robot, Visual Basic, MS Access, SQL2003/SQL2005/SQL2008, SQL2012, SQL2014, Oracle, Visual C++, and LAMP.|
10/2006 to present
Universal Music Group
Woodland Hills, CA
Director – Information Technology
- Lead the Technology Refresh effort for the Royalties & Copyright Group at UMG. This includes designing the target environments, migrating applications to their new environments, and conducting functional/UAT testing.
- Lead the vulnerability remediation for the Royalties & Copyright Group at UMG. The environments include WindowsServer\AIX\Linux environments across 500+ servers in the Intranet and DMZ.
- Lead the testing and delivery of UMG’s internal financial reporting systems and business applications that consist of .NET 2.0/3.5/4.0, MS-SQL2005/2008/2012, Microsoft Business Intelligence Stack (SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS) in an Agile development environment with very large databases (10TB databases with 1,000s of billions of records). The business applications crossed multiple entities throughout the world.Lead the testing and delivery of external financial reporting systems that are used to report and process sales from over 200 partners that deliver digital content (music, videos, ring tones, etc.) to consumers. Over 1,000 business rules are used to process and report sales to music labels, artists, and producers.
- Lead the development, maintenance, and execution of automated test scripts to validate over 1,000+ business rules.
- Lead the design and implementation of the Development, Staging and Production environments for supported business applications for the Royalties &Copyright group at Universal Music Group.
- Lead the team responsible for designing, building, and migrating new server environments to the Tulsa datacenter for the Royalties & Copyright group Universal Music Group.
- Lead all performance testing and tuning of very large databases (larger than 10TB) that contain 1,000s of billions of records for the Royalties & Copyright group at Universal Music Group.
- Lead the team responsible all User Acceptance testing with the end users.
- Issues resolution between the business entities and the development/testing groups.
- Primary technical support for project teams during the development and implementation process
- Translate program requirements and needs into technology solutions with clear deliverables and timelines
- Coordinate technology and internal/external resources to meet program and project schedules
- Develop and review detailed technical requirements documentation for supported applications
- Implemented Microsoft’s Team Foundation Server as the primary source control and task/defect tracking system.
- Developed and implemented an automated build and deployment strategy using TFS to ensure the front-end and back-end systems are built and regression tested each night.
- Developed and implemented a Configuration Management plan (continuous integration) to reduce the errors encountered during the development process.
9/2004 – 8/2009
The QualSoft Group, LLC
Woodland Hills, CA
QualSoft Group is a software development and testing services provider that assists small to medium sized businesses with commercial software, consumer facing web applications (LAMP), and enterprise applications development and testing. Successfully negotiated 5 contracts to provide development and testing services, including a multi-million dollar contract to provide onshore/offshore testing services to support a large project that delivered encrypted digital content over the Internet to customers throughout North America. Developed business model and recruited/managed team of 35+ engineers to support the company's on-going testing and development efforts.
Director, Quality Assurance/Consultant – Vendare Media Inc. (Short term contract) 5/2006 to 10/2006
El Segundo, CA
- Lead testing efforts for a team of 10 in a LAMP environment.
- Recommended and implemented a plan to automate regression and functional testing in a LAMP environment.
- Implemented a strategy to automate all regression tests and build verification tests utilizing Mercury QTP and WinRunner.
- Managed, developed, and maintained automated test scripts for Mercury QTP and WinRunner.
- Developed and implemented a Configuration Management plan to reduce the errors encountered during the “build & deploy” process in a Visual Source Safe (VSS) and .NET environment.
Director, Quality Assurance/Consultant – Entriq, Inc. (Long term contract) 4/2005 to 5/2006
Digital Content Delivery System –
- Built, managed, and mentored the onshore/offshore team testing the Digital Content Delivery System project.
- Lead the testing effort for both the onshore and offshore teams in a LAMP environment.
- Lead all Load/Performance testing and automated test tool development effort for the projects in a LAMP environment. Tools utilized where a mix of open source, Rational Robot, and Rational Performance Tester.
- Test activities included test and analysis of the VOD download and licensing technology (ensured that the technology could not be defeated/hacked), billing/accounting systems infrastructure, content delivery systems (downloadable/licensable content), and client software (.NET client software) for downloading & viewing the protected media (TCP/IP and HTTP/HTTPS protocols). Testing activities also included integration testing of all business systems and backend support software/hardware. The testing approach consisted of white-box, black-box, and gray-box test methodologies utilizing onshore and offshore teams.
- Lead the Configuration Management team responsible for deploying code from VSS and CVS to the QA, Staging, and Production environments.
Performance Tuning project –
- Utilizing Rational Performance Tester and Rational Robot, developed tests for web services and database load/performance testing.
- Executed Load/Performance tests against server side APIs to determine failure points.
- Executed Load/Performance tests against MS-SQL Server determine failure points. Rational Performance tester and Rational Robot in a 3-tiered environment.
- Working with development, made recommendations to Sr. Management regard area for improvement.
- Utilizing the performance tests and assisted Database Engineer to tune database.
Deployed updates from VSS and CVS to the to the test environment.
Consultant –Hot Topic (Short term contract) 9/2004 to 4/2005
City of Industry, CA
- Lead the gray-box testing effort for the GERS, Lawson, Accounting Systems (General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, and Accounts Payable), Arthur Allocation, and Blue Martini APIs (.NET APIs) during the Tennessee Distribution Center project (new distribution center).
- Lead the Systems Integration and UAT testing effort for the Tennessee Distribution Center project. The team consisted of 25 testers across 6 teams in two different states (California and Tennessee)
- Lead the team responsible for validating the GL report, Accounts Receivable/Payable reports, and cycle count/physical inventory reports.
- Developed the strategic test plan for SI and UAT which consisted of over 500 individual tests that spanned multiple systems and departments (IT, Finance, A/P, Datacenter, etc.). This included working with the teams to develop a set of requirements for the Pass/Fail criteria. The testing approach consisted of mainly gray-box testing.
5/2002 – 9/2004
Movielink Santa Monica, CA
Director, Quality Assurance/Principal Consultant (Long term contract)
- Built and managed the Quality Assurance Department in a LAMP environment at Movielink. This included interviewing and hiring staff members, creating the QA Test Lab, implementing automated regression tests and load/performance tools, as well as implementing all QA policies and procedures.
- Utilized SDLC, QALC, and TQM, to implemented Quality Assurance methodologies and procedures that resulted in the successful launch of the Movielink VOD service on Nov. 2002 and multiple subsequent updates and releases.
- Managed of all QA staff members. Activities included test and analysis of the VOD download and licensing technology (Microsoft DRM and RealOne DRM) in a LAMP environment, billing/accounting systems infrastructure (Oracle Small Business Management System, GL, AR/AP), website infrastructure (UNIX, J2EE [EJBs, Servlets, JSP, JDBC], Oracle, Apache, ATG Dynamo, and .NET), content delivery systems (downloadable/licensable content), and client software (.NET client software) for downloading & viewing the protected media (TCP/IP and HTTP/HTTPS protocols). The testing approach consisted of white-box, black-box, and gray-box test methodologies.
- Managed, developed, and maintained company Quality Assurance Standards and Processes by overseeing and participating in testing, test plan development, and design reviews.
- Managed, developed, and maintained automated scripts testing the VOD service, billing systems, and integration tests. The tools included Segue SilkTest and UNIX shell scripts.
- Implemented and managed the performance/load testing utilizing Segue’s SilkPerformer.
- Managed team responsible for deploying updates from CVS to the QA environment.
5/2001 – 5/2002
Santa Monica, CA
Director, Quality Assurance
- Responsible for building and assembling the Quality Assurance Department at Fandango, which included interviewing and hiring staff members, creating the QA Test Lab, and evaluated automated regression and load/performance tools.
- Responsibilities included the day-to-day management of all activities and staff members in the Quality Assurance and Release Engineering / Configuration Management departments.
- Utilized SDLC, QALC, and TQM to implement Quality Assurance methodologies and procedures that improved the quality of the website and integrity of the billing systems infrastructure. The testing approach was mainly gray-box test methodologies.
- Created and implemented Configuration Management policies & procedures to ensure all “builds” deployed to QA and the production environments were free of configuration errors.
- Managed and participated in the testing of HTML, DHTML, XML/XSL, Java, Java Script, COM, and SQL 7.0 based website. This included working with the Web Development group to develop a set of requirements for the Pass/Fail criteria, as well as creation of all test plans.
- Participated in the research and development of improving Fandango’s billing systems infrastructure.
- Developed automated test and regression scripts for the Fandango website utilizing Rational VisualTest, Visual Basic, MS-SQL 7.0, VC++, and Segue SilkTest.
- Participated in the evaluation and recommendation of software and hardware to enhance the customer's experience.
- Managed deploying code from VSS to the QA and Staging environments.
12/2000 – 5/2001
Sony Electronics, Inc.
Culver City, CA
Principal Consultant (Short term contract)
- Responsibilities included the day-to-day management of all activities and hands-on management of staff members in the Quality Assurance and Release Engineering. At its peak, the test team consisted of approximately 20 engineers spread across 3 countries (Japan, London and the U.S.).
- Created and implemented Configuration Management Processes to ensure all remote development branches are merged successfully into the main development branch in Los Angeles and the resulting code base is free of configuration or compilation errors. The processes included procedures for creating daily builds, validating the stability of compiled builds by using automated regression tests, and providing release notes to Quality Assurance and the customers.
- Managed and participated in the development of automated test and regression test scripts for standalone and client/server based for special effects software packages utilizing Rational VisualTest, VC++, Mercury WinRunner, and Segue SilkTest.
- Managed multiple projects and teams throughout the U.S. and Japan (Culver City, San Jose, and Japan) using proven project management principles.
- Hands-on responsibility for administering, maintaining, and enhancing the bug/task management system (ClearQuest) and source control systems (ClearCase Multisite).
1/2000 – 1/2001
Santa Monica, CA
Director, Quality Assurance
- Responsibilities included the day-to-day management of all activities and staff members in the Quality Assurance, Release Engineering, Network Operations Center, and Network Security departments. At its peak, the test team consisted of approximately 10 engineers.
- Utilizing my experience with SDLC, QALC and TQM, I implemented Quality Assurance methodologies and procedures that improved the quality of the website by 25%.
- Created and implemented the Network Operation Center (NOC) that responded to and resolved all connectivity, database, configuration problems in the production environment.
- Created and implemented Configuration Management Processes to ensure all releases to the website were handled efficiently and free of configuration errors.
- Managed, developed, and maintained company Quality Assurance Standards and Processes by overseeing and participating in testing, test plan development, design reviews, code inspections and walkthroughs.
- Managed multiple projects and teams throughout the U.S., India, and the UK using proven project management principles.
- Managed and participated in the testing of HTML, DHTML, XML/XSL, Java, Java Script, COM, and SQL 7.0 based web pages/applications. This includes working with the Web Development group to develop a set of requirements for the Pass/Fail criteria, as well as creation of all test plans.
- Developed automated test and regression scripts for the BizBuyer website utilizing Rational VisualTest, Visual Basic, SQL 6.5/7.0, VC++, and Segue SilkTest.
- Responsible for implementing and managing performance and load testing of the live BizBuyer site utilizing Segue’s SilkPerformer.
- Responsible for implementing and managing security procedures and controls for the Corporate LAN and the e-commerce website to prevent unauthorized intrusion.
- Participated in the evaluation and recommendation of software and hardware to improve a customer's experience using the website.
11/1996 – 1/2000
Manager, Tools & Server Group
- Hands-on management of the team responsible for testing server based Web applications. This includes working with the Systems Administrators to develop a set of requirements for the Pass/Fail criteria, as well as creation of all test plans.
- Hands-on management of the team responsible for testing the PC (Windows95/98) and Mac Internet client software (TCP/IP and HTTP/HTTPS protocols). This software would configure a user’s machine to access the Internet, as well as install and configure the necessary browser and mail client. Worked closely with Development to define the Product Requirements Document and Development Specifications for each new release.
- Utilizing my experience with SDLC, TQM and ISO9001, I implemented Quality Assurance methodologies and procedures that improved the quality of the desktop and web applications by 35%.
- Developed performance and load test scripts from the Requirements Document and the test plan utilizing Segue’s SilkPerformer.
- Developed extensive test plans utilizing specifications and interviewing the developers and Product Management.
- Managed and participated in the testing of HTML, DHTML, XML/XSL, Java, and Java script based web pages/applications This includes working with the Web Development group to develop a set of requirements for the Pass/Fail criteria, as well as creation of all test plans.
- Developed tools and automated test scripts for the entire Quality Assurance organization. Developed Visual Test scripts and maintained Unix shell scripts to test the EarthLink services, Registration Server, POP3, SMTP, NNTP, etc.. In addition, developed scripts using Segue SilkTest and Mercury WinRunner to assist the testers testing web based applications, scripts utilizing Visual Test to assist the Quality Engineers testing the PC based Internet client, and load test scripts utilizing Silk Performer and LoadRunner for the Server Group.
Technologies and Operating Systems
Should you require more information or would like to discuss a project, feel free to contact me. I will do whatever is necessary to solve your issue.
Click here if you are looking for JFS Consulting Services